Sunday, September 9, 2007

Football Season's here!

So as I write this entry it is about 20 minutes before 9:00 pm. The football season started on Thursday with the (formerly Baltimore) Colts thumping the Saints. Tonight--today in the US--is when the first Sunday football games start. The Ravens are my team, and they play tomorrow night against the Bengals. If the Ravens play on offense they way they are capable, and play solid defense they will win. If Ed Reed freelances too much and gets burned, or they pick on Samari Rolle, ballgame. They lose. The Ravens have not been a very good come from behind team for some time, if ever. They have to play carefully.

So I have spent a lot of time out of the office this past week because we are getting all kinds of supplies in here and I have to coordinate the pick up and movement to our Class IV Yard. "Class IV" is the Army Supply Class that includes engineer barrier material, construction material, etc. Class II includes stuff like tents and shelters. Anyway, we just got an avalanche of that kind of stuff last week. Here is how the stuff has to be handled:



I took the picture in black & white on a lark just to see how it looked. I may do that a little more when I take pictures of people. We'll see. That container fits right onto the back of a 40' flatbed truck, which then carries the whole thing to wherever it needs to go. They also make them in 53' and 20' sizes. They are both designed to go on trucks, ships, and trains. You got some smart people who can figure out how to make something that will fit on all those modes of transport, plus will carry more cargo than if you just packed the stuff on pallets or in boxes.

The place that I put most of this stuff is here:








What I will do before I leave this place is get some video of these machines to show my son when I get home. He loves watching construction machines.

I was thinking about the band I saw perform here last night, and I would compare them to a micro-brew beer: they may not be available in a lot of places, but they are high-quality. It makes you wonder, how many other bands are out there like this one that probably get very little support from their record label (if they have one)? Why do we get fed the corporate BS music when there are bands like this out there that you never hear on the radio? Thank goodness they came out on this tour, and I definitely want to thank and give kudos to the folks at USO for getting them out here. They have an ear for talent, for sure. It was just a very cool time.

Anyway, time for football!!! Gotta run. I will be in meetings almost all of this week, so my blogging my pause. If I do get to it, I may do a little venting, so please have patience with me...thanks!

No comments: